Sunday, June 17, 2012

Return to Canada!

Canada 2012

17.06.12.
Two days of what seemed like interminable travel came to an end at 5.30 yesterday when I touched down at Toronto's Easton Pearson Airport. Friday was spent lugging my suitcases between the bus, train and cab to make it to The Airport Hotel in Arncliffe. An early start the following morning saw me dropping my luggage off at the Air Canada check in counter before breakfasting at various airport amenities. Naturally, I didn't sleep on the plane and nineteen hours later touched down in Toronto. Murray and Ashley were there to greet me with a box of Timbits! Yeh. I'm back in Canada!
On the way home Murray took us on a bit of a tour of the Beaches area where they are living for the year. Dinner saw us dining at Murphy's Law, an Irish themed pub near the Walpoles house. Naturally, I obligingly sampled some of their boutique beer. Needless to say it went down a treat after my long haul flight.

Some 27 hours after I last slept, I fell into bed and slept the sleep of the unconscious.

This morning saw me feeling vaguely refreshed and out of bed at 6. I was keen to have a look at the Beaches and took myself on a long walk. Wakefulness at last and feeling minimal effects from jet lag, I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast with Pam and Murray.

Shortly afterwards, we headed down town to the Rogers Centre to take in a baseball match between the Phillies and the Blue Jays. Needless to say, this was a unique cultural experience subtly enhanced by the ubiquitous hot dog replete with mustard, relish and tomato sauce (sorry - ketchup). Oh, yes, and Blue Jays were victorious.
Dinner saw us exploring Little India and consuming to die for butter chicken and naan bread from plastic plates on plastic chairs. Ambience aside, the food was highly recommended and did not disappoint.here is a photo of the Rogers Centre and also one of me consuming one of life's little joys: the traditional hot dog!

No comments: