Friday, July 20, 2012

The Last Week


The Last Week
20.07.12.
Well, what can I say. It's been quite a ride. In the week since I got back from New York, I have: visited Gananaque with my friend Michele. Her parents have a spectacular property on the river and I was treated to a personalized boat tour of the 1000 Islands. I felt pretty lucky to be able to spend time with her family who were wonderful people.
On Sunday evening, Michele had a quiet dinner party with myself & Ann O'Brien. I am nagged to source some tuna and was able to cook the girls my signature dish. Catching up on the latest news from Ann was great.
On Monday the prodigal traveller (that's me) returned to Don and Linda's after a lively lunch with Karen and Mary, two of the most older full people from Holy Cross. Back in Danbury road there was an evening replete with Don's famous mussel dish. I must replicate this one at home in the near future.
Tuesday proved to be the hottest day of the year do far with the mercury exceeding a whopping 40 degrees. It was too hot to really do anything. I did manage to squeeze in a visit to Pat & Diane who came around after dinner and took us down to Portsmouth Harbour for a spin in his 1935 vintage wooden boat. By now the searing heat had abated and with a light breeze coming off the lake,new were finally able to enjoy the evening. By the way, Kingston looks fantastic from the water by night. We all ended back at Don and Linda's where several convivial night caps were consumed. This is getting to be a habit - I need to go home and soon!
The following day saw me take a drive to Howe Island with Michele to have dinner with Liz Rae Dalton and Ann O'Brien. Liz had a fantastic place built right on the water and effectively showcases her art. A cool night in the screen porch made me wish that I lived in Kingston. I know why I just had to go back - the people are wonderful.
Thursday saw some last minute shopping at the outlets in Division St before heading downtown to a delicious thai restaurant. This, of course was followed by gelato and a walk by the lake. Summertime in Kinston at it's best!
Friday -today! My last day. I expressed a desire to visit Kingston Mills. Surprisingly, we had never been here when we last lived in the city. Kingston Milks represents the start of the Rideau Canal where it flows into the Cataraqui River. A busy place- we pent an hour or do watching the boats move up and down the canal through a complex series of locks.
Our final lunch was, for old times sake, fish and chips at the Rose and Crown Pub. Then it was off to the station for final goodbyes with Don & Linda, my gracious hosts. We love you guys and hope to see you soon in Australia where we can return the hospitality.

No comments: